Bell & Ross BR 03-94 Multimeter
Bell & Ross creates instrument watches inspired by aeronautical tools and aimed at professionals. With this unique model, Bell & Ross wanted to show the high potential of the chronograph complication and its involvement in sport. Its name Multimeter evokes a time measuring instrument used for various sports competitions. The BR 03-94 Multimeter is aimed at all athletes involved in racing. It is designed to give as much information as possible concerning their physical activity.
The chronograph function
The BR 03-94 Multimeter is a chronograph. These sports watches are designed to measure short times. They are equipped with a large independent central hand that can be started, stopped and then reset. Chronographs also measure speed using a tachymeter scale. Initially, these watches were used in:
- aviation. They allowed pilots to prepare their flight plan. They are also used to define the position of airborne aircraft.
- the navy to calculate the position of ships while out at sea.
- medicine. Some models are specifically developed for doctors. They allow you to take the pulse accurately.
- motorsport, in particular to determine the speed of a racing car.
The chronograph function therefore allows multiple measurements; the BR 03-94 Multimeter brings them all together on its dial. This exceptional model notably allows the measurement of speed, the number of breaths or even heartbeats. It is a type of “Swiss army knife” for athletes.
The cockpit as inspiration
The new BR 03-94 Multimeter takes up the iconic “circle within a square” shape of the emblematic cockpit clock. Created in 2005, this watch features a very graphic case, which has become a reference in terms of design. The 42 mm diameter of the BR 03-94 Multimeter makes it perfectly suitable for everyday use. The multicoloured dial of this sophisticated chronograph captivates the eye.
An information-rich dial for multiple measurements
Like all stopwatches, the BR 03-94 Multimeter is intended for measuring short times. This novelty turns out to be multi-functional, as it combines all the information indicated by a chronograph. The BR 03-94 Multimeter represents a kind of ultimate instrument. It can be suitable for running, cycling, as well as for driving. With this novelty, Bell & Ross is targeting a very large number of athletes. Two additional dial counters complete the chronograph indication. The one at 9 o’clock indicates the timer minutes. The one at 3 o’clock displays the permanent seconds. To maintain optimal readability, the watchmaker has opted for double-weighted hands. Their counterweight makes it possible to compensate for this absence of indexes. Naturally, the BR 03-94 Multimeter also displays the hour and minutes by central hands and the date in an aperture. Its 60-minute chrono scale is typically located on the flange of the dial.
One colour, one function
Aesthetically, the spectacular BR 03-94 Multimeter is visually attractive. This singular and graphic chronograph is extremely pleasing to the eye. Its coloured dial uses the principle of colour differentiation of the various indications displayed on the dashboards of aircraft. Its matt black ceramic case contrasts with its eye-catching dial overflowing with information. To maintain readability and functionality, Bell & Ross has chosen a specific shade for each category of information.
- The pulsometer scale is dressed in orange. It only runs on the right-hand side of the dial.
- The asthmometric scale is coated in bottle green. It also only runs on the right-hand side of the dial.
- The three tachymeter scales opt for pale green, light grey and white. They run over the entire dial.
For better readability, the date has been transferred between midday and 1 o’clock (it is usually located between 4 and 5 o’clock). In this position, it does not hide any indication.
The original BR 03-94 Multimeter is powered by the self-winding BR-CAL.301 calibre. This exceptional mechanism fits very well with this spectacular chronograph. At first glance, the operation of this watch may seem complex. In fact, it is much less complex than it seems. To fully understand it, it is imperative to refer to the small user manual, which is inserted on the left-hand side of the dial. Very easy to understand, it presents the 5 on-board scales. It defines them according to three fundamental data: the base unit (“base”), the function (“function”) and the unit of measurement (“unit”).
- The pulsometer counts the heartbeats. It is expressed in beats per minute on a 15-beat basis.
- The asthmometer monitors breaths and is expressed in expirations per minute. It is expressed on a 5-breath basis.
- The three tachometers measure speed, in km/h. Their basis of measurement is distinct for each of them and is based on three different units of measurement: 100 m, 250 m or 1 km. The first corresponds to the jogger (running), the second to the cyclist (bicycle) and the third to the pilot (sports car).
In practice, the stopwatch is started by pressing the top pushbutton. The large hand is triggered and starts its cycle. It is stopped by pressing the top pushbutton again. The hand cuts the 5 colour scales indicating heartbeats and breaths. Speed, the main indication, is read on three scales based on different units. The classic chronograph function remains.
Bell & Ross BR 03-94 Multimeter
Limited edition of 500 pieces
- Material: Matt black ceramic.
- Dimensions: 42mm
- Thickness: 12.80 mm
- Glass: Sapphire with anti-reflective coating.
- Water-resistant to 100 meters
Dial and hands
- Indicators for 3 tachymeter zones, 1 pulsometer zone and 1 asthmometer zone.
- Minute track painted white on the flange.
- Super-LumiNova®-painted hour and minute hands.
- BR-CAL.301. Automatic mechanical.
- Diameter: 28mm
- Number of jewels: 37
- Frequency: 28'800 vph (4 Hz)
- Power reserve of 42 hours
- Hours, minutes, small seconds at 3 o’clock and date.
- Chronograph: 30-minute counter at 9 o’clock, central chronograph seconds.
- Tachymeter, pulsometer and asthmometer.
Strap and buckle
- Strap: perforated black rubber and ultra-resilient black synthetic fabric
- Pin buckle. Steel with black PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) finish
MSRP: EUR 5'600
For more information, please visit bellross.com