Cyrus Genève Klepcys DICE Racing
Cyrus Genève, the independent Swiss brand with its Manufacture located in Le Locle, is expanding its KLEPCYS DICE collection.
A true technical innovation, Klepcys DICE – first introduced in summer 2021 - marks a new milestone in the chronograph complication in the 21st century. It was, in fact, the first wristwatch on the market to be equipped with two chronographs capable of functioning totally independently of each other, or in synchrony.
As the name suggests DICE is the acronym for DOUBLE INDEPENDENT CHRONOGRAPH EVOLUTION; a full-fledged revolution on the watchmaking scene which, for the very first time, sees two separate chronographic movements assembled in a single case.
Following the runaway success of the first edition of the Klepcys DICE, followed up with the Klepcys DICE Lime presented at this year's Watches and Wonders in Geneva, CYRUS Genève is now introducing a new version of this famous chronograph.
The Klepcys DICE Racing comes in two case variants , in a limited edition of just 15 pieces each.
Like its predecessors, Klepcys DICE Racing is inspired by sporting competitions, and especially by motor racing. It is a world very close to CYRUS Genève which, amongst other things, is one the official sponsor of the HAAS F1 team, including drivers Mick Schumacher and Kevin Magnussen.
This latest creation, brainchild of master watchmaker Jean-François Mojon, has a revamped look. But it also experiments with an innovative material the Maison has never used before: carbon fiber. Its highly resistant nature, along with its characteristic lightness, thermal insulation and flame resistance, ensure carbon fiber is an appealing choice.
Klepcys DICE Racing still retains its iconic cushion-shaped case with a diameter of 42 mm, available in polished/brushed grade-5 titanium, or black DLC-coated titanium which, for this latest addition, has been teamed with an all-new black matt carbon fiber bezel. As the carbon fibre is first layered and then machined, the surface of each bezel will be different from the other, thus giving each piece of Klepcys DICE Racing its uniqueness.
Despite the double crown set at 3 and 9, another hallmark feature of CYRUS Genève, the case is waterproof to 10 ATM. Crowns must, of course, be protected to avoid any water, moisture and dust issues, so twice as much attention is lavished on this crucial element of KLEPCYS collections!
The open-worked dial features a pleasing three-dimensional architecture that allows to delve into the very heart of this innovative mechanism designed and crafted at the Cyrus Manufacture. The detailing is picked out in red and electric blue, making it easier to read off the chronographic functions. The column wheels, the hands of the chrono counter at 3, the central second hands, the minutes on the flange and the monopusher crowns for engaging the two separate chronographs can thus be seen at a glance. Both the chrono hands and the second hands are mirrored, with the latter resetting to 12 (red) and 6 (blue).
The small seconds counter is symmetrical to the minute chronograph counter, providing an aesthetically-pleasant, balanced effect; it is set at 9, with the original three-armed helix recalling the Maison’s logo and a luminescent tip. The small seconds counter and the 30-minute counter are both in anti-reflective smoked sapphire crystal, and surmounted by a bright red lacquered bridge that highlights them.
The open-worked rhodium-plated luminescent hands mark time on a shaped anti-refelctive sapphire crystal ring with raised Arabic numerals. These numerals are also luminescent, and emit a blue glow. This transparency allows an unhindered view of the stunning movement powering this masterpiece of fine watchmaking.
Klepcys DICE Racing is equipped with the Manufacture’s CYR718 automatic calibre which beats at 28,800 vibrations/hour, offering a 60-hour power reserve when fully charged with just one barrel. Comprising no less than 443 parts, of which 218 for the double independent chronograph, it is housed in a case which is just 16.5 mm thick: no mean feat when we remember it houses not one but two mainplates, treated with a black PDV and microbeaded finish, for the two chronograph modules.
But assembling this movement and its countless components in a small case was not the only challenge Jean-François Mojon had to tackle.
Klepcys DICE Racing features a double chronograph with two display axes; one for the chronograph seconds, and the other for the 30-minute counter. The chronographs are powered by two column wheels which in turn activate the levers and gears that move the seconds and 30- minute chronograph display.
Mojon and his technical team have devised a special insulating system to prevent shocks and dispersion of the energy generated when the chronograph levers are triggered, especially during the return-to-zero phase. This ensures the duration of the phenomenon is measured precisely, allowing the two chronographs to run independently without affecting one another.
An ingenious solution was also found for another challenge: an all-new concentric device has been devised for the motion work mechanism to read off the time. Not only is this mechanism more compact, but it is coaxial to the axes of the hands, freeing up as much space as possible for this chronograph complication.
It is worth noting that the movement has been reversed to allow the chronograph mechanism to be visible on the dial side; this affords a fascinating view of the two column wheels that lie at the "heart" of this complication.
Klepcys DICE Racing offers an unimpeded view of its spectacular mechanics. So the sapphire crystal case-back was a must to allow the sunray-decorated bridges to be admired. The bridges alternate a polished/satin effect, and are coated with an anthracite-grey NAC finish which is also applied to the oscillating mass. The single-block rotor is open-worked and finished with a sunray design; the centre of the rotor, engraved with the motto “The Conquest of Innovation”, is embellished with the CYRUS helix in 18k 4N gold.
The Klepcys DICE Racing is presented with a bright red Cordura fabric strap and a titanium folding clasp to match the case, and is delivered with an additional strap in soft black rubber.
Cyrus Genève Klepcys DICE Racing
Reference: 539.508.TTC.A (polished titanium/carbon fiber)
Reference: 539.508.DDC.A (black DLC titanium/carbon fiber)
Limited edition of 15 pieces each
- Material: Polished grade 5 titanium or Grade 5 titanium with black DLC treatment
- Diameter: 42 mm excluding the crowns
- Thickness: 16.5 mm
- Black matt carbon fiber bezel
- Sapphire crystal on dial side: anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Crown at 3 o'clock: position 1 to wind the movement; position 2 to adjust time + pusher for activation of chronograph No. 1 (start-stop-reset)
- Crown at 9 o'clock: pusher to activate chronograph No. 2 (start-stop-reset)
- Decoration of crowns: engraved Cyrus logo, black rubber ring embossed with grooves and red anodised aluminium ring on crown at 3 o'clock corresponding to chronograph No. 1; blue anodised aluminium ring at 9 o'clock corresponding to chronograph No. 2
- Case back: sapphire crystal, sealed with customised screws with Cyrus logo
- Engraving "Limited Edition ONE of 15"
- Water-resistant to 100 meters (10 ATM/330 ft)
Dial and hands
- 3D open-worked dial
- Sapphire crystal hour ring with anti-reflective treatment on both sides, bevelled and polished edges, Arabic numerals with white Super-LumiNova with blue light emissions
- Minute markers on black PVD flange placed at 5-minute intervals, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Flange with double scale corresponding to chronograph with 5-minute intervals in red and blue
- Small seconds counter at 9 o'clock: smoked anti-reflective sapphire crystal, white lacquered Arabic numerals at 15-second intervals surmounted by a microblasted rhodium-plated ring, helix small seconds hand with luminescent tip (white Super-LumiNova with blue glow)
- 30-minute counter at 3 o'clock: smoked anti-reflective sapphire glass, luminescent markers at 5-minute intervals, two hands in red and blue with double indications at 15/30 minutes in same colour corresponding to the two independent chronographs
- Red lacquered bridges over the chronograph and small seconds counters
- Lacquered column wheels: red at 12 o'clock and blue at 6 o'clock
- Open-worked hour and minute hands, rhodium-plated with polished edges, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Mirrored central chronograph seconds hands in red and blue
- Manufacture self-winding movement, calibre CYR718
- Dimensions: 36.00 mm Ø x 11.65 mm thickness
- Number of parts: 443 total - 218 correspond to the chronograph module
- Number of jewels: 51 total - 17 correspond to the chronograph module
- Annular balance wheel
- Frequency : 28'800 vph (4 Hz)
- Swiss lever escapement
- Rhodium-plated barrel with snailed ratchet wheel, Cyrus logo and inscription filled with black lacquer
- Power reserve of 60 hours
- Two microbeaded black PVD mainplates
- Bridges: grey anthracite NAC galvanic treatment, decorated with embossed sunray pattern with satin and microbeaded finishing
- New open-worked monobloc rotor with a sunray pattern, engraved with "The Conquest of Innovation", open-worked central medallion with Cyrus helix logo in 18K 4N gold
- Central hours and minutes
- Small seconds at 9 o'clock
- 30-minute counter of the double independent chronograph at 3 o'clock, double hands in red and blue
- Two central chronograph hands; red hand resets-to-zero at 12 o'clock, blue hand resets at 6 o'clock
Strap and buckle
- Red Cordura fabric strap with folding clasp in same material as case, customised with Cyrus logo
- Additional black rubber strap
MSRP: Price on request
For more information, please visit Cyrus Genève website.