Cyrus Klepcys DICE Lime Carbon
Cyrus Genève presents “Klepcys DICE Lime Carbon”, introducing a new luminescent carbon bezel and the first metal bracelet.
Mechanical watchmaking is a centuries-old art that continues to amaze. Not only does it allow us to enjoy, even today, working masterpieces of time that are “only” a couple of centuries old, but also to explore new solutions to obtain higher performing mechanics combined with more daring and intriguing designs.
CYRUS Genève and master watchmaker Jean-François Mojon have been following this philosophy since the Maison was founded in 2010.
After creating innovative timepieces such as Klepcys Moon, which boasts the patents for the retrograde date and for linear time reading, or Klepcys Vertical Tourbillon, with the tourbillon on a vertical axis inclined at 90° and placed – for the first time in watchmaking – in the centre of the dial, CYRUS Genève introduced an outright revolution in chronograph complications in the summer of 2021.
KLEPCYS DICE (Double Independent Chronograph Evolution) is the first of its kind in the world, capable of measuring two-time intervals independently or in synchrony, both of which can be read off at a glance thanks to a two-tone colour scheme. Moreover, it is also a monopusher chronograph, with a functional double crown at 3 and 9 o'clock. In Klepcys DICE, each crown starts, stops and resets the chronograph to zero pressing the push-buttons. The one at 3 o’clock also winds the movement and adjusts the time.
In 2023, CYRUS Genève presents “Klepcys DICE Lime Carbon”, a further version of this exclusive, innovative chronograph. The timepiece features a grade-5 titanium case with a polished/satin finish, in an iconic cushion shape, combined with a carbon fibre bezel. This lightweight, temperature-resistant material is layered and then machined, making the surface of each bezel always look different. Moreover, for this new creation, the bezel has a singular characteristic - due to inclusions of luminescent material, it lights up in the dark.
In addition to the innovative carbon bezel, “Klepcys DICE Lime Carbon” also features the first integrated titanium bracelet with a satin finish and polished hexagonal central links, which endows a new aesthetic identity and provides an alternative to the version with a Cordura fabric strap. The same watch but with a completely new look!
The case, waterproof to 10 ATM, has a diameter of 42 mm and a thickness of 16.5 mm. Such a height may seem considerable to some, but given that its unprecedented calibre includes two mainplates, it is actually very impressive. The choice of titanium also makes this case very comfortable on the wrist, due to its light weight and ergonomic design.
The 3D architecture of the open-worked display, a distinguishing features of many of the Maison’s collections, allows the chronograph mechanism to be seen in action from the dial side, from which the “heart” of the complication - the two column wheels - is clearly visible.
Overall, despite the many components on display, the functions of “Klepcys DICE Lime Carbon” are easy to read at a glance.
Hour and minute markers in Arabic numerals and hands with Super-LumiNova emitting blue glow in low-light conditions are displayed on an anti-reflective sapphire crystal ring. The counter of the double chronograph is at 3 o'clock. It is in smoky sapphire crystal with a green profile and double 15/30 numerals in lime green and yellow. Double two-tone numerals are also present on the minutes-flange.
The chrono minutes and seconds hands are mirrored. The first chronograph is picked out in green; the pusher on the crown set at 3 o’clock starts, stops and resets it to 12 o’clock. The second chronograph is set with the pusher on the crown at 9 o’clock; it is highlighted in yellow, and resets to 6 o’clock. Both crowns are finished with a ring in the same hues as the two chronographs. The helix small seconds hand at 9 o’clock grants a pleasant visual symmetry to all the elements making up the display. The bridges above the chrono counter and the small seconds stand out for their profile in a green lacquer finish.
“Klepcys DICE Lime Carbon” comes to life thanks to the development of the unprecedented CYR718 automatic calibre, designed by Jean-François Mojon, featuring two identical chronograph mechanisms in a single case. What’s more, the movement has been reversed so that the mechanisms and the two column wheels are visible on the dial side.
This innovative mechanism requires two mainplates on which the additional module for the two independent chronographs, comprising 218 components, is mounted. With 443 components in total, the mechanism beats at 28,800 vibrations/hour, and the single barrel delivers a 55-hour power reserve.
The calibre is equipped with two independent chronograph movements and two display axes: one corresponds to the chronograph seconds and the second to the 30- minute counter. The chronographs are activated by two column wheels, which in turn activate the different levers that move the seconds and 30- minute chronograph display.
The activation of chronograph levers generates considerable shocks and dispersion of energy, especially during the return-to-zero phase when the hammer on the heart cam is activated.
Thanks to a special system of insulation, which ensures precision measurements for the duration of the event, these shocks have no repercussions on the display of the functions. In short, the two chronographs work independently without exerting any influence on one another.
The insulation of the two chronographs was a definite challenge, but not the only one. Positioning this complication required more space than in a traditional chronograph. The motion work mechanism that carries the hours and minutes hands also needed to be revolutionised. Conventionally, this mechanism is composed of several gears placed on different rotational axes. Mojon’s solution was an innovative concentric mechanism for the motion work. Not only is the mechanism more compact, but it is coaxial to the axes of the hands.
This exquisite movement is visible through sapphire crystal porthole, making it possible to admire the bridges with hand-anglage profiles and a grey anthracite NAC galvanic surface treatment, decorated with an embossed sunray pattern alternated with satin rays. The monobloc open-worked rotor is engraved with the Maison’s motto, "The Conquest of Innovation", and is adorned with the helix logo in 18K 4N gold.
“Klepcys DICE Lime Carbon" is a limited edition of 50 pieces with a green Cordura fabric strap and 50 with a titanium bracelet, with a folding claps customised with the Maison's logo.
Cyrus Klepcys DICE Lime Carbon
Reference: 539.508.TC.B (titanium/Cordura)
Reference: 539.508.TCM.B (titanium/Bracelet)
Limited edition of 50 pieces with green Cordura strap and 50 pieces with titanium metal bracelet
- Material: Polished/brushed grade 5 titanium
- Diameter: 42 mm excluding the crowns
- Thickness: 16.5 mm
- Carbon fibre bezel with luminescent inclusions (green glow)
- Crown at 3 o'clock: position 1 to wind the movement; position 2 to adjust time + pusher for activation of chronograph No. 1 (start-stop-reset)
- Crown at 9 o'clock: pusher to activate chronograph No. 2 (start-stop-reset)
- Decoration of crowns: engraved Cyrus logo, black rubber ring embossed with grooves and green anodised aluminium ring on crown at 3 o'clock corresponding to chronograph No. 1; yellow anodised aluminium ring at 9 o'clock corresponding to chronograph No. 2
- Sapphire crystal on dial side: anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Case back: sapphire crystal, sealed with customised screws with Cyrus logo
- Engraving "Limited Edition ONE of 50"
- Water-resistant to 10 ATM (100 m – 330 ft)
Dial and hands
- 3D open-worked dial
- Sapphire crystal hour ring with anti-reflective treatment on both sides, bevelled and polished edges, Arabic numerals with white Super-LumiNova with blue light emissions
- Minute markers on black PVD flange placed at 5-minute intervals, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Flange with double scale corresponding to chronograph with 5-minute intervals in green and yellow
- Open-worked hour and minute hands, rhodium-plated with polished edges, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Small seconds counter at 9 o'clock: anti-reflective sapphire crystal with green profile and green lacquered Arabic numerals at 15-second intervals surmounted by a microblasted rhodium-plated ring, helix small seconds hand with luminescent tip (white Super-LumiNova with blue glow)
- 30-minute counter at 3 o'clock: anti-reflective sapphire glass with green profile, markers at 5-minute intervals, two specular hands in green and yellow with double indications at 15/30 minutes in same colour corresponding to the two independent chronographs
- Central chronograph seconds hands: green hand with reset at 12 o'clock, yellow with reset at 6 o'clock
- Green lacquered bridges over the chronograph counter and small seconds
- Lacquered column wheels: green at 12 o'clock and yellow at 6 o'clock
- Manufacture self-winding movement, calibre CYR718
- Dimensions: 36.00 mm Ø x 11.65 mm thickness
- Components: 443 total - 218 correspond to the chronograph module
- Number of Jewels: 51 total - 17 correspond to the chronograph module
- Variable inertia balance wheel
- Frequency: 28,800 vph - 4 Hz
- Swiss lever escapement
- Rhodium-plated barrel with snailed ratchet wheel, Cyrus logo and inscription filled with black lacquer
- Power reserve: 55-hour
- Two microbeaded black PVD mainplates
- Bridges: grey anthracite NAC galvanic treatment, decorated with embossed sunray pattern with satin and microbeaded finishing, hand-bevelled profiles
- Open-worked monobloc rotor with a sunray pattern, engraved with "The Conquest of Innovation", open-worked central medallion with Cyrus helix logo in 18K 4N gold
- Central hours and minutes
- Small seconds at 9 o'clock
- 30-minute counter of the double independent chronograph at 3 o'clock, double hands in green and yellow
Strap and buckle
- Green Cordura fabric strap with personalised folding clasp
- NEW: integrated bracelet in brushed grade 5 titanium with polished central hexagonal links
MSRP: Price on request
For more information, please visit cyrus-watches.ch