W&W 2022 Cyrus Klepcys DICE Lime
Inspired by timing demands for sporting competitions, KLEPCYS DICE (an acronym for Double Independent Chronograph Evolution) is an innovative DOUBLE INDEPENDENT MONOPUSHER CHRONOGRAPH. First introduced in 2021 by Cyrus Genève and its in-house Manufacture in Le Locle (Switzerland), the Klepcys DICE is now sporting a new look to mark Geneva’s prestigious international watch fair, Watches and Wonders 2022. “Klepcys DICE Lime” is born.
The functions of the new Klepcys DICE Lime make it a one-off in the vast landscape of contemporary watchmaking. Like its predecessor, it is equipped with two independent monopusher chronographs for measuring two short intervals of time independently or in synchrony, all housed in a single self-winding mechanical movement. Jean-François Mojon is one of the twenty-first century’s greatest watchmakers, and the creative mastermind behind Cyrus Genève collections since the brand was first founded in 2010. This unprecedented, complex calibre is his brainchild, and it is ushering in a new generation of chronographs.
The first reports of a double independent chronograph date back to 1873, when American watchmaker Arnold Frankfeld registered a similar mechanism at New York’s patent office. Designed for a pocket watch, the architecture of the movement was, however, altogether different to the calibre which powers the Klepcys DICE.
Right from the very outset, Cyrus Genève watches have seamlessly combined bold architecture with innovative, unconventional mechanics. The result is a unique, exclusive style that is instantly associated with the brand.
The hallmark feature of Cyrus Genève’s KLEPCYS timepieces is the iconic cushion-shaped case with elongated lugs on the case body, a three-dimensional bezel with rounded corners, and symmetrical twin crowns. Assembly of the case is a complex process involving no less than 26 polished and satin-finish parts.
The Klepcys DICE Lime comes in two versions, crafted from natural grade 5 titanium with a polished/satin finish, or a black DLC treatment. Just 10 pieces are available for each version. Given the amount of space occupied by the unusual calibre, with two mainplates and as many chronographic modules, the size is actually limited, with a diameter of 42 mm and a thickness of 16.5 mm. The thinner bezel has been slightly adjusted to make more room for the dial and enhance legibility. Titanium is a hard-wearing, extremely lightweight material that makes this model, waterproof to 10 ATM, extremely comfortable to wear.
The 3D architecture of the open-worked display is key in all the Swiss Maison’s watches. It is a meditated approach, and designed to allow the chronograph mechanism to be seen in action from the dial side, from which the two column wheels are clearly visible.
The elapsed times recorded by the two chronographs can be read off at a glance, thanks to the two-colour scheme which Cyrus Genève has adopted in dazzling green and intense yellow. Both hues feature on the two hands of the chronograph counter at 3 o’clock, on the double-scale flange around the dial, on the column wheels and the respective crowns. The chrono minute and second hands are specular. The first chronograph is picked out in green; the crown set at 3 o’clock starts, stops and resets it to 12 o’clock. The second chronograph is set with the pusher on the crown at 9 o’clock; it is highlighted in yellow, and resets to 6 o’clock.
The open-work luminescent hands are rhodium-plated. They indicate the time on a bevelled, anti-reflective sapphire crystal ring with raised Arabic numerals, also luminescent, which emit a blue glow. The transparency also ensures an unhindered view of the breath-taking movement that powers this model. The small seconds are placed at 9, with an original hand which recalls the Maison’s logo: a three-armed helix with a luminescent tip.
The look of the Klepcys DICE Lime has received an upgrade. The chrono counter and small seconds are both crafted in anti-reflective sapphire crystal with markers and profiles in green. The bridges above the respective counters are lacquer-finished in the same shade. The colour elements are all combined with skill, making for a dial which is aesthetically pleasing.
To round off the style of the new “Klepcys DICE Green”, Cyrus Genève has opted for a green Cordura fabric strap with a titanium folding clasp to match the case. The watch is delivered with an additional soft black rubber strap.
A complex calibre which introduces an entirely new chronograph to the watchmaking landscape
One of the world’s most inspired and talented watchmakers, Jean-François Mojon is renowned for pushing back the boundaries of watchmaking mechanics. Once again, he has surprised enthusiasts with his latest creation: the CYR718 automatic calibre. The movement which powers the Klepcys DICE Lime features two identical chronograph mechanisms which are visible on the dial side, as the movement has been reversed. The symmetrical design offers a fascinating view of the two column wheels that are the "heart" of this complication.
The two mainplates of this innovative mechanism are finished with a black microbeaded PVD treatment. The additional module for the two independent chronographs is made up of 218 components, all mounted on the two mainplates. With 443 components in total, the mechanism beats at 28,800 vibrations/hour, and the single barrel delivers a 60-hour power reserve.
Klepcys DICE Lime is equipped with two independent chronograph movements and two display axes: one corresponds to the chronograph seconds and the second to the 30- minute counter of the double chronograph. The chronographs are activated by two column wheels, which in turn activate the different levers and couplings that move the seconds and 30-minute chronograph display.
The activation of chronograph levers generates considerable shocks and dispersion of energy, especially during the return-to-zero phase when the hammer on the heart cam is activated.
Thanks to a special system of insulation, which ensures precision measurements for the duration of the event, these shocks have no repercussions on the display of the functions. In short, the two chronographs function independently without exerting any influence on one another.
The motion work mechanism that carries the hours and minutes hands also required special attention. Conventionally, this mechanism is composed of several gears placed on different rotational axes. However, to free up as much space as possible for the dual chronograph complication, Mojon came up with a concentric mechanism for the motion work. Not only is the mechanism more compact, but it is coaxial to the axes of the hands.
Cyrus Klepsys DICE Lime
Reference: 539.508.TT.B (polished titanium)
Reference: 539.508.DD.B (black DLC titanium)
Limited edition of 10 pieces for each version
- Materials: Polished/brushed Grade 5 titanium or Grade 5 titanium with black DLC treatment
- Cushion-shaped case made of 26 parts
- Diameter: 42 mm excluding the crowns
- Thickness: 16.5 mm
- Crown at 3 o'clock: position 1 to wind the movement; position 2 to adjust time + pusher for activation of chronograph No. 1 (start-stop-reset)
- Crown at 9 o'clock: pusher to activate chronograph No. 2 (start-stop-reset)
- Sapphire crystal on dial side: anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- Case back: sapphire crystal, sealed with customised screws with Cyrus logo
- Engraving "Limited Edition ONE of 10"
- Water-resistant to 100 meters (10 ATM/330 ft)
Dial and hands
- 3D open-worked dial
- Sapphire crystal hour ring with anti-reflective treatment on both sides, bevelled and polished edges
- Arabic numerals with white Super-LumiNova with blue light emissions
- Minute markers on black PVD flange placed at 5-minute intervals, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Flange with double scale corresponding to chronograph with 5-minute intervals in green and yellow
- Open-worked hour and minute hands, rhodium-plated with polished edges, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow
- Small seconds counter at 9 o'clock: anti-reflective sapphire crystal with green profile and green lacquered Arabic numerals at 15-second intervals surmounted by a microblasted rhodium-plated ring, helix small seconds hand with luminescent tip (white Super-LumiNova with blue glow)
- 30-minute counter at 3 o'clock: anti-reflective sapphire glass with green profile, markers at 5-minute intervals, two specular hands in green and yellow with double indications at 15/30 minutes in same colour corresponding to the two independent chronographs
- Central chronograph seconds hands: green hand with reset at 12 o'clock, yellow with reset at 6 o'clock
- Green lacquered bridges of the chronograph counter and small seconds
- Lacquered column wheels: green at 12 o'clock and yellow at 6 o'clock
- Manufacture self-winding movement, calibre CYR718
- Dimensions: 36.00 mm
- Thickness: 11.65 mm
- Number of parts: 443 total - 218 correspond to the chronograph module
- Number of jewels: 51 total - 17 correspond to the chronograph module
- Annular balance wheel
- Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
- Swiss lever escapement
- Rhodium-plated barrel with snailed ratchet wheel, Cyrus logo and inscription filled with black lacquer
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Two microbeaded black PVD mainplates
- Bridges: grey anthracite NAC galvanic treatment, decorated with embossed sunray pattern with satin and microbeaded finishing
- New open-worked monobloc rotor with a sunray pattern, engraved with "The Conquest of Innovation", open-worked central medallion with Cyrus helix logo in 18K 4N gold
- Central hours and minutes
- Small seconds at 9 o'clock
- 30-minute counter of the double independent chronograph at 3 o'clock, double hands in green and yellow
- Two central chronograph hands; green hand resets-to-zero at 12 o'clock, yellow hand resets at 6 o'clock
Strap and buckle
- Green Cordura fabric strap with folding clasp matching the case material, customised with Cyrus logo
- Additional black rubber strap
- CHF 34'500 (titanium)
- CHF 35'500 (black DLC titanium)
For more information, please visit cyrus-watches.ch