Zenith Defy Extreme E “Copper X Prix”
For this next race of the 2022 Extreme E championship, the teams are heading far off the beaten path to South America, a first for the electric rally racing championship. One of the world’s foremost copper mining areas and one that is incorporating an innovative and sustainable approach to its operations, the Atacama Desert, Chile, sets the stage for the unveiling of ZENITH’s third special edition watch commemorating an Extreme E race. The DEFY Extreme E Copper X Prix, a limited edition of 20 pieces, combines carbon fibre and titanium with earthy tones that recall the copper mines of the region, while incorporating recycled and upcycled elements from the championship.
Inspired by the world of extreme motorsports and conceived with ruggedness in mind, the DEFY Extreme E Copper X Prix is designed to take on the electric rally’s thrilling off-road courses in some of the world’s most remote environments. Based on the DEFY Extreme Carbon, the world’s lightest and most robust 1/100th of a second automatic high-frequency chronograph, the DEFY Extreme E “Copper X Prix” incorporates upcycled elements from the championship with the back-to-back races’ official colour of warm coppery-brown.
The DEFY Extreme E “Copper X Prix” edition is crafted in lightweight yet highly durable carbon fibre, including the crown and chronograph pushers. Emphasizing the boldly angular geometry of the case, the pusher protectors as well as the twelve-sided bezel are made in microblasted titanium.
The open multi-layered dial consists of tinted sapphire crystal elements, embellished with coppery-brown accents that evoke the dry, rocky terrain and copper mines of the Chilean desert. Partially visible through the dial as well as the sapphire case back is the fastest automatic high-frequency chronograph calibre in production, offering 1/100th of a second time measurements, with two escapements independently beating at 5Hz (36’000 VpH) for the timekeeping part and 50Hz (360’000 VpH) for the chronograph function. The movement is also visible through the sapphire display back, emblazoned with the Copper X Prix logo.
Bringing sustainability and environmental awareness to the forefront of ZENITH and Extreme E’s partnership, the DEFY Extreme E “Copper X Prix” is delivered with a rubber strap infused with materials of upcycled Continental CrossContact tires that were used in the first season’s races. Matching the Copper X Prix copperbrown accents on the dial, the Velcro strap features a black rubber central element surrounded by a brown cordura-effect rubber inlay. The DEFY Extreme E “Copper X Prix” is delivered with two additional straps in black rubber and black Velcro, which can be easily swapped without any tools by using the case back’s ingenious and intuitive quick strap-change mechanism.
The DEFY Extreme E “Copper X Prix” comes packaged in a suitably sturdy waterproof and crushproof watch case inspired by the extreme conditions of the rally, incorporating various upcycled elements from the side-lines of the first season’s races. The case’s lid coating is made from E-grip recycled tires, while the plate covering is made from parts of an Extreme E racing tarpaulin.
The DEFY Extreme E “Copper X Prix” will be made in a limited edition of only 20 pieces and will be available exclusively at ZENITH physical and online boutiques around the world.
Zenith Defy Extreme E “Copper X Prix”
Limited edition of 20 pieces
- Material: Carbon & microblasted titanium
- Diameter: 45 mm
- Transparent sapphire crystal caseback
- Water-resistant to 200 meters (20 ATM)
Dial and hands
- Dial: Tinted sapphire with three black-coloured counters
- Hour markers: Rhodium-plated, faceted and coated with SuperLuminova SLN C1
- Hands: Rhodium-plated, faceted and coated with SuperLuminova SLN C1
- Movement: El Primero 9004
- Frequency 36'000 vph (5 Hz)
- Power reserve min. 50 hours
- Finishes: Black colored main plate on movement + Special black colored oscillating weight with satined finishings
- Hours and minutes in the centre.
- Small seconds at 9 o'clock.
- 1/100th of a second Chronograph: Central chronograph hand that makes one turn each second.
- 30-minute counter at 3 o'clock.
- 60-second counter at 6 o'clock.
- Chronograph power-reserve indication at 12 o'clock
Strap and buckle
- Full Interchangeable strap system. Copper Recycled tires Velcro Strap and a 2nd strap included.
- Microblasted Titanium Triple folding clasp
MSRP: CHF 26'900
For more information, please visit zenith-watches.com